Monday, December 19, 2011

There's no place like home

Last weekend when got home from Elias' birthday party, we had some down time as you were eating a snack for dinner. Daddy happened to find The Wizard of Oz on tv. You have the golden book; so I knew you were familiar with the story. Well...you are a major fan now.

Mommy luckily recorded the whole movie Sunday morning, and Sunday after your nap, you asked to watch it. The Wizard of Oz is officially your first movie to watch in its entirety. (And it's a long one! Before this, the longest you had ever lasted for a movie was 40 minutes) You asked a lot of questions, but you are definitely enthralled by Dorothy and even more so Toto. I think he's your favorite character. If Toto is not in the shot, then you ask, "Where did Toto go?".

You aren't scared of the Wicked Witch or those freaky flying monkeys, but you get so sad with actual tears! when Toto escapes from the Witch to go find the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion. As you are crying, you ask, "Why isn't Toto with Dorothy? Toto needs to be with Dorothy." I'm talking trembling lip and real tears...not like I just stubbed my toe tears.

Then when the Wizard and the hot air balloon take off without Dorothy and Toto, you start crying again! "Why isn't the balloon coming back for Toto and Dorothy? Toto and Dorothy need to go home." I assured you that Glenda, the Good Witch, was coming to help Dorothy, but you are just so concerned about that balloon. Both times that you started crying, I asked if we needed to turn it off because it was too sad or scary, you said- "No!"

Daddy and I just thought it was cutest/saddest thing ever that you displayed that amount of empathy over Dorothy, and even more so Toto.

I think I know what to put on the back of your Christmas Ornament...as your gift of choice. Let's just hope I can find it at the store today.

Love you, Maev.

PS. I'm also very thankful that this movie is actually pretty awesome and a classic. Your Grandpa would be proud. Maybe you're going to be a movie snob like Mommy and Daddy.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

oh my goodness- that IS the cutest/saddest story ever. I love that movie too Maevy!

Dr. Blondie said...

Oh, I love this! What a great first movie. The first movie I saw in the theater, Pete's Dragon in the late 1970s, prompted a similar reaction to Maevy's and I still remember it. I cried the entire car ride home and most of the evening because the dragon left Pete at the end, even though, as my parents explained, "He's going to help other kids who need him." I didn't care. The dragon abandoned Pete, and I was devastated. My parents felt so bad about taking me to the movie!

Post a Comment